Repairing M0138
-
Hardware: (board / drone / SKU, serial # if you have it)
M0138
Software version: (paste the output ofvoxl-version)
Python codes
Configuration / services: (paste the output ofvoxl-inspect-services)
Doesn't respond to USB uart
What happened:
I was connecting the M0138 to a 24V power supply for bench test. It turned on the led in the bootup sequence but afterwards stopped completely responding. I tried plugging it in and out but wouldn't start up again. Then I tried touching the components and the Vreg Inductor seems to be getting very hot, all other components seem fine. Is there a way to repair it? How would I do that? The purchase was made few months back and I don't want the ESC to scrap and want to make some use out of it.
ThanksLogs / pictures: (attach files; PX4 logs -> https://logs.px4.io)
-
@sjt277 , I am sorry this happened to you. In order to help evaluate the issue, can you please post photos of both sides of the M0138 ESC board (high resolution, please, you could share a link if the forum does not accept it).
Also please point out in the picture which component is getting hot. Also, since you are using a power supply, it should provide the current draw when you attempt to power on the ESC. Please let us know the voltage and current reading on the power supply and whether it is changing.
Did the ESC work at first (spinning motors) and then stopped working at some point?
Please note that testing ESCs using a power supply often lead to permanent damage due to regenerative spikes when the motor is braking (causing over-voltage). https://docs.modalai.com/voxl-escs/faq/#unboxing-and-testing-new-standalone-esc
Alex
Reading along? Create a free ModalAI Forum account to join in.
With an account you can reply, ask your own question, get an email when a ModalAI engineer answers, and mark the reply that solved it. Your place in each thread is saved between visits.
Questions about VOXL, Flight Core, ESCs and ModalAI drones are answered here by the engineers who build them.
Register Login