Skip to content
  • Categories
  • Recent
  • Tags
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Groups
Collapse
Brand Logo

ModalAI Forum

  1. ModalAI Support Forum
  2. General Questions
  3. USB camera live streaming through Microhard carrier board

USB camera live streaming through Microhard carrier board

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved General Questions
15 Posts 3 Posters 560 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Eric KatzfeyE Eric Katzfey

    I'm confused by all of the new data. Can you summarize? You have tested with 2 different USB cameras: Lepton and c270. You have tested with 3 viewers: QGC, VLC, and ffplay. You have tested with 2 applications: voxl-uvc-server and voxl-streamer. Only one network connection: Microhard. Can you also try a MIPI camera instead of a USB camera? Then can you create a matrix saying which ones worked and which ones didn't?

    Jetson NanoJ Offline
    Jetson NanoJ Offline
    Jetson Nano
    Veteran
    wrote last edited by
    #6

    @Eric-Katzfey
    sure I can summarize,

    Camera 1 - Lepton,
    QGC - Did not test
    VLC - Did not stream, error message.
    ffplay - stream worked

    Camera 2 - logitech c270 camera
    QGC - Did not test
    VLC - Did not stream, error message.
    ffplay - stream worked

    I did not understand what you meant by mipi camera, if it is normal hires camera connected to the yellow board, it is streaming fine, slightly slow through the microhard connection, but I can see the video stream on the portal.

    the following message showed up when i tried to trigged the rtsp stream through vlc

    A new client rtsp://192.168.168.150:58656(null) has connected, total clients: 2
    rtsp client disconnected, total clients: 1
    rtsp client disconnected, total clients: 0
    no more rtsp clients, closing source pipe intentionally
    A new client rtsp://192.168.168.150:45852(null) has connected, total clients: 1
    Camera server Connected
    gbm_create_device(156): Info: backend name is: msm_drm
    gbm_create_device(156): Info: backend name is: msm_drm
    
    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • Eric KatzfeyE Offline
      Eric KatzfeyE Offline
      Eric Katzfey
      ModalAI Team
      wrote last edited by
      #7

      MIPI is the physical connection to the VOXL2 board. So, yes, the "normal hires camera" is connected via mipi instead of USB. I'm trying to help you debug this. Normally, when something doesn't work, you try to narrow down the issue by trying some carefully thought out variations to see what works and what doesn't. That can determine the part that is not working. For example, if you have USB camera -> voxl-uvc-server -> voxl-streamer -> Microhard -> VLC and that is showing problems and then you switch to a stream with MIPI camera -> voxl-camera-server -> voxl-streamer -> Microhard -> VLC and that doesn't have problems then it's logical to focus on the USB camera -> voxl-uvc-server part of the pipeline as the problematic part. In your first post you mention QGC stream works and then in your last reply you said you did not test with QGC so that is confusing. And I'm not sure what your end goal is. In the first post you say "Please help to stream live video from the lepton camera through the microhard board." Then you say that it is working from ffplay. So, is that okay now? Or is ffplay not an acceptable solution for you?

      Jetson NanoJ 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • Eric KatzfeyE Eric Katzfey

        MIPI is the physical connection to the VOXL2 board. So, yes, the "normal hires camera" is connected via mipi instead of USB. I'm trying to help you debug this. Normally, when something doesn't work, you try to narrow down the issue by trying some carefully thought out variations to see what works and what doesn't. That can determine the part that is not working. For example, if you have USB camera -> voxl-uvc-server -> voxl-streamer -> Microhard -> VLC and that is showing problems and then you switch to a stream with MIPI camera -> voxl-camera-server -> voxl-streamer -> Microhard -> VLC and that doesn't have problems then it's logical to focus on the USB camera -> voxl-uvc-server part of the pipeline as the problematic part. In your first post you mention QGC stream works and then in your last reply you said you did not test with QGC so that is confusing. And I'm not sure what your end goal is. In the first post you say "Please help to stream live video from the lepton camera through the microhard board." Then you say that it is working from ffplay. So, is that okay now? Or is ffplay not an acceptable solution for you?

        Jetson NanoJ Offline
        Jetson NanoJ Offline
        Jetson Nano
        Veteran
        wrote last edited by
        #8

        @Eric-Katzfey ,
        Please excuse me for the confusion caused by me.

        Goal -
        my goal is to achieve continuous video stream from lepton camera connected through USB cable. the USB port I am using is Microhard.

        Issues I faced -

        1. During my initial testing, I was able to stream the lepton video through VLC, but the camera stream kept on getting interrupted (the camera stream ended), once I restart the uvc-service and the stream-service , it starts again. This observation was in loop.
          I wanted your help to solve this issue.
        2. Once you asked for the log file, I tried to replicate this test, but the stream was not working through VLC.
          I attached the log file.
        3. To verify the camera is working fine I tried with ffplay, the stream was working fine.
        4. I verified the MIPI camera, I was able to see the video on the voxl-portal, but while using the stream-service, it was not working on VLC.

        Now, I would like your help to solve the following problems

        1. Get the video stream on VLC
        2. Get the video stream to work continuously with out any interruption.
        3. Also it would be great if you clear one more query of mine, whether I can setup the USB port with any camera(which supports USB protocol), If I make necessary changes to the codes or UVC-service and Stream-service.
          Thank you for your patience and looking forward to response.
        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • Eric KatzfeyE Offline
          Eric KatzfeyE Offline
          Eric Katzfey
          ModalAI Team
          wrote last edited by
          #9

          That's kind of pointing to VLC as the issue. Can you try with QGC?

          Jetson NanoJ 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • Eric KatzfeyE Eric Katzfey

            That's kind of pointing to VLC as the issue. Can you try with QGC?

            Jetson NanoJ Offline
            Jetson NanoJ Offline
            Jetson Nano
            Veteran
            wrote last edited by
            #10

            @Eric-Katzfey
            Hi, Sorry for the late reply.
            I tested the rtsp with QGC. The stream was working fine, until suddenly the stream got stuck and I had to restart the voxl-stream command.

            • I have one major question, does usb camera support continuous live video stream.
            • I am planning to purchase the voxl2 mini and use the usb port for lepton, I just want to be sure that the port can support continuous rtsp stream without having any issues.
            • Is there any setup, I should be knowing for seamless streaming other than what is mentioned in the docs.

            thank you for time, looking forward to your response.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • Eric KatzfeyE Offline
              Eric KatzfeyE Offline
              Eric Katzfey
              ModalAI Team
              wrote last edited by
              #11

              Yes, we have tested a few USB (UVC) cameras and they can continuously live stream. So we need to figure out what is causing the problem on your setup.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • Zachary Lowell 0Z Offline
                Zachary Lowell 0Z Offline
                Zachary Lowell 0
                ModalAI Team
                wrote last edited by
                #12

                @jetson-nano I am testing this right now and am not seeing an issue - can you describe the following:

                1. How long is the voxl on when you see this issue/how long has the stream been going?
                2. Have you confirmed that voxl uvc camera library did not die and that is the cause?
                3. Have you confirmed via the voxl streamer logs that the service did not die?

                I am trying to understand which library is the source of the error in the mpa.

                Thanks!

                Jetson NanoJ 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • Zachary Lowell 0Z Zachary Lowell 0

                  @jetson-nano I am testing this right now and am not seeing an issue - can you describe the following:

                  1. How long is the voxl on when you see this issue/how long has the stream been going?
                  2. Have you confirmed that voxl uvc camera library did not die and that is the cause?
                  3. Have you confirmed via the voxl streamer logs that the service did not die?

                  I am trying to understand which library is the source of the error in the mpa.

                  Thanks!

                  Jetson NanoJ Offline
                  Jetson NanoJ Offline
                  Jetson Nano
                  Veteran
                  wrote last edited by
                  #13

                  @eric-katzfey @Zachary-Lowell-0
                  Thank you guys for the response.

                  1. The voxl 2 was on max 8 minutes. The video streamed for 2 minutes, then the frame froze on QGC. I had to restart the voxl-stream command to restart the rtsp on QGC.
                  2. There was no error message on the debug window, the frames were passed constantly, during the RTSP freeze also.
                  3. The voxl-Stream only through error once I tried to connect to the VLC. While connecting to QGC,and while the video freeze there was no error message.

                  Thanks!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • Zachary Lowell 0Z Offline
                    Zachary Lowell 0Z Offline
                    Zachary Lowell 0
                    ModalAI Team
                    wrote last edited by
                    #14

                    https://www.loom.com/share/41699fad8b6842a6bf25c986c98c1c3b

                    Had it running on 8 minutes via voxl-uvc-server.

                    Can you confirm that you had good bandwidth the entire time? This is also over a microhard hat (although I have a wifi stick plugged into the usb port on here alongside the usb camera)

                    This sounds more like a networking issue than anything hardware or software related.

                    Jetson NanoJ 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • Zachary Lowell 0Z Zachary Lowell 0

                      https://www.loom.com/share/41699fad8b6842a6bf25c986c98c1c3b

                      Had it running on 8 minutes via voxl-uvc-server.

                      Can you confirm that you had good bandwidth the entire time? This is also over a microhard hat (although I have a wifi stick plugged into the usb port on here alongside the usb camera)

                      This sounds more like a networking issue than anything hardware or software related.

                      Jetson NanoJ Offline
                      Jetson NanoJ Offline
                      Jetson Nano
                      Veteran
                      wrote last edited by
                      #15

                      @Zachary-Lowell-0
                      Thank you for testing it out and for fast response. I am also feeling it is a network issue.
                      I will also try to replicate the same test condition as yours, also will verify the bandwidth.
                      Thanks!

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0

                      Reading along? Create a free ModalAI Forum account to join in.

                      With an account you can reply, ask your own question, get an email when a ModalAI engineer answers, and mark the reply that solved it. Your place in each thread is saved between visits.

                      Questions about VOXL, Flight Core, ESCs and ModalAI drones are answered here by the engineers who build them.

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      ModalAI
                      Categories Recent Tags ModalAI.com Docs
                      © 2026 ModalAI® · Accelerating autonomy for smaller, smarter, safer drones · Powered by NodeBB
                      • Login

                      • Don't have an account? Register

                      • Login or register to search.
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Categories
                      • Recent
                      • Tags
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Groups