RB5 Kit + SDK queries
Cris Thomas last edited by Cris Thomas
I seek a few clarifications regarding the RB5 and its SDK before proceeding to recommend the platform in our framework for a project.
- SDK Ubuntu Version? Does it support 20.04 and newer versions?
- ROS1/2 support and sample codes (MAVROS-PX4)?
- ROS support drivers for the onboard sensors (including image sensors)?
- WiFi modes: Station and softAP support?
- Possibility for VNC/GUI (maybe over WiFi)?
- Thundercomm RB5 SOM Onboard Storage and memory? SD Card option?
- Does the kit comes with all sensors (including stereo) as shown here?
- Other than onboard WiFi6, all other connectivity options are addon? (5g/4g etc)
Thanks in advance
Hi Cris, some answers to your questions:
- Ubuntu 18.04 for the time being (datasheet).
- ROS 1 and 2 are easily installed. Examples are pending. Current SDK is documented here
- The image sensors are available via gstreamer. We will have an IMU API soon.
- Soft AP and station mode are supported (docs)
- VNC/GUI - we have not tried this, but it's Ubuntu so it seems likely something could be tried
- See datasheet for architecture. Yes, there is an SD Card slot.
- The kit comes with everything shown here, the 5G modem is optional.
- The 4G add-on, 5G add-on, Microhard add-on are all optionally supported.
Cris Thomas last edited by
@Chad-Sweet Thank you so much for the response to the above queries.
Following up with the same,
- Is there documentation for Soft-AP setup for RB5 flight?
- There are 3 cam groups connecting a total of 6 cameras (out of 7 supported by RB5) through J6, J7, and J8. What is the possibility of adding an extra camera to the setup (eg: down-facing) for some custom image processing at the edge?
- The documentation shows named pipes for cameras 0,1,2,4,5 and RTSP streaming for camera 3. Can all cameras be accessed via both named pipe and GStreamer?
- Is MAVROS pre-installed in the RB5 system image? It will be very helpful and interesting to see the RB5-PX4-MAVROS interfacing and setups. Are they similar to that of VOXL?
Thanks in advance.
- For softap, there are references here on how to enable
- At some point more flexibility will be added for camera configurations. Right now the shipping configuration is all that is supported. There is already a tracking camera at 45°. You should be able to create a mount to point that straight down if you prefer.
- Only one active gstreamer instance for each camera can be running. The camera servers use gstreamer to get the camera data and publish that to a named pipe. So if an instance of a camera server is running, then a new gstreamer instance for that same camera can't be started.
- MAVROS is not pre-installed. That is planned in a future version of the SDK, likely one or two months away. We do have customers using it today though. Note in offboard mode the default behavior is a figure-8. See post here for the fix