TOF Sensor Range
The datasheet for the VOXL TOF sensor states that its range is 4-6m. To get a furthest range, you need to reduce the frame rate to the minimum (i.e., 5 fps, I believe). In practice, if I reduce the frame rate to something quite low (e.g., 10 fps), and if I stand in front of the sensor, I begin to fade out around 2.5m. By 3m, I am lost almost completely to noise.
I'd like to use the TOF sensor for mapping an indoor environment. However, with a range of ~3m, when the drone is in the middle of a room, it is unable to see the walls. In that situation, many SLAM algorithms don't work well since the pointcloud data is "empty" and they are unable to do scan matching from frame to frame. Drift and other undesirable behavior tend to occur.
For the package size, the VOXL TOF sensor is incredible. It's just not well suited for the particular application I am interested in. I am wondering if ModalAI knows of a product that would be comparable to the VOXL TOF sensor, but with an increased range (on the order of 12m).
I have looked for similar products online, but have not found anything meeting the desiderata of low SWaP and ~12m range:
- AD-96TOF1-EBZ (<6m range)
- IMX556PLR (<6m range)
- phototonics time-of-flight-sensors (4m range)
- 3d-tof-sensor-module (4m range)
- terabee-3dcam (4m range)
- helios2 (8m range, but 400g)
- AD-FXTOF1-EBZ (3m range)
- AMS time-of-flight (0.5m range)
One product that seems semi-tailored to my problem is an rplidar like this one. It has a 12m range, 360 degree FOV, is fairly inexpensive ($320)...but weighs a decent amount (190 grams) and is 2D instead of 3D.
I'd like to ask two questions:
(1) Do you know of a product that would be comparable to the VOXL TOF sensor, but with an increased range (on the order of 12m)?
(2) Have you looked at designing/integrating any products that would be well suited for the use-case I described (e.g., rplidar)?