Unable to unbrick ModalAI Voxl m500
One of our ModalAI drones is bricked and we are unable
adb shellinto the device. Following the instruction to unbrick given here, I am unable to find device upon
sudo fastboot devices.
Here are the instructions we followed to unbrick the device:
- Power off the VOXL
- Detach VOXL USB cable (to ensure USB is not supplying any power VOXL)
- Attach the USB Expander and Debug Add-On board
- Ensure the FASTBOOT labeled switch is set to on
- Ensure the EMERG BOOT labeled switch is set to off
NOTE: if your board is missing the EMERG BOOT switch, this is OK as its default un-populated state is OFF
- Power on the VOXL
- Reattach VOXL USB cable
- After VOXL boots up (about 5 seconds), set the FASTBOOT back to off
Here is a video of the attempt https://youtu.be/BDEEefeVZ20
Please let us know if we have missed any steps. Thank you.
Hi @ashwin-umdlife ,
Sorry this post is shown as 'deleted' for some reason, testing a response.
Hi @ashwin-umdlife ,
I un-deleted this post, I'm not sure if you meant to delete but was asked from our contact email to look at this post.
OK, I think we have some timing issues possibly happening here.
Let's work through this and see if we need to update our documentation.... there's a couple scenarios to work through so it's a little tricky.
The idea here is that we want to mimic "holding down the volume-down key while powering on a phone and letting go right after you power on" and then run the command.
So, let's try this:
- have m500 powered off
- have fastboot switch turned ON
- have USB cable connected to m500, not the host (because VOXL can get a little power from USB, but not enough to boot)
- have your terminal open and ready with
sudo fastboot devicescommand waiting
- plug USB power in
- power on m500
- turn fastboot switch off and quickly run the command (hit ENTER on the terminal that has the command waiting)
Repeat this several times if possible. If we ever detect a device in fastboot mode then we can next attempt to update the system image.
@modaltb I deleted this post because I figure out the usb should be connected to the voxl board and not the expansion board. Thank you making this clear. I see that there is a video made by your team explaining the unbricking procedure. It will be great if you could add it in the office modalai unbricking documentation.
i also try to unbrick my VOXL
adb - does not work
but the fastboot sees the device
Tell me how to properly flash system image using fastboot
Chad Sweet Dev Team
Can you please see try this post? https://forum.modalai.com/topic/525/voxl-adb-or-wi-fi-no-longer-communicating
@Chad-Sweet I think we are all commenting on the wrong post here. The issue of this post was solved by connecting to the appropriate usb cable.
However, @Roman-Rempel I guess you are having similar problem as in this post https://forum.modalai.com/topic/520/voxl-stuck-in-waiting-after-unbricking/3 ?