Unable to unbrick ModalAI Voxl m500
One of our ModalAI drones is bricked and we are unable
adb shellinto the device. Following the instruction to unbrick given here, I am unable to find device upon
sudo fastboot devices.
Here are the instructions we followed to unbrick the device:
- Power off the VOXL
- Detach VOXL USB cable (to ensure USB is not supplying any power VOXL)
- Attach the USB Expander and Debug Add-On board
- Ensure the FASTBOOT labeled switch is set to on
- Ensure the EMERG BOOT labeled switch is set to off
NOTE: if your board is missing the EMERG BOOT switch, this is OK as its default un-populated state is OFF
- Power on the VOXL
- Reattach VOXL USB cable
- After VOXL boots up (about 5 seconds), set the FASTBOOT back to off
Here is a video of the attempt https://youtu.be/BDEEefeVZ20
Please let us know if we have missed any steps. Thank you.
Hi @ashwin-umdlife ,
Sorry this post is shown as 'deleted' for some reason, testing a response.
Hi @ashwin-umdlife ,
I un-deleted this post, I'm not sure if you meant to delete but was asked from our contact email to look at this post.
OK, I think we have some timing issues possibly happening here.
Let's work through this and see if we need to update our documentation.... there's a couple scenarios to work through so it's a little tricky.
The idea here is that we want to mimic "holding down the volume-down key while powering on a phone and letting go right after you power on" and then run the command.
So, let's try this:
- have m500 powered off
- have fastboot switch turned ON
- have USB cable connected to m500, not the host (because VOXL can get a little power from USB, but not enough to boot)
- have your terminal open and ready with
sudo fastboot devicescommand waiting
- plug USB power in
- power on m500
- turn fastboot switch off and quickly run the command (hit ENTER on the terminal that has the command waiting)
Repeat this several times if possible. If we ever detect a device in fastboot mode then we can next attempt to update the system image.
@modaltb I deleted this post because I figure out the usb should be connected to the voxl board and not the expansion board. Thank you making this clear. I see that there is a video made by your team explaining the unbricking procedure. It will be great if you could add it in the office modalai unbricking documentation.
i also try to unbrick my VOXL
adb - does not work
but the fastboot sees the device
Tell me how to properly flash system image using fastboot
Can you please see try this post? https://forum.modalai.com/topic/525/voxl-adb-or-wi-fi-no-longer-communicating
@Chad-Sweet I think we are all commenting on the wrong post here. The issue of this post was solved by connecting to the appropriate usb cable.
However, @Roman-Rempel I guess you are having similar problem as in this post https://forum.modalai.com/topic/520/voxl-stuck-in-waiting-after-unbricking/3 ?